Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Monday, December 11, 2006

Child's striped mittens


I was sick all weekend and stayed home from work today, so I put in a few hours on my mitten project. Not too shabby for my first mittens ever, but I guess I need improvement in not leaving holes around where the thumb connects. When I was working in the ends, I tried to use them to close up the holes, and somehow the thumb on one of them ended up going kinda crooked. I don't usually block my projects, but I'm hoping a little blocking will fix that.

Staying home sick was interesting. I usually would rather poke my eyes out with my knitting needles than watch daytime TV, but this time I was pleasantly surprised. Tyra did a really good show on racism. I didn't catch the whole thing, but in and out of my snoozing, I saw her apologize to the crowd for calling everyone with covered heads "middle eastern." It was a really honest moment, and I appreciated her setting an example of being willing to admit mistakes en route to a better understanding of racism. There were also a couple of "experts" on, talking about how some ethnic groups have sort of spent a period in history being subjected to racism, and then the intensity sort of subsided, but intense racism against African Americans persists. Very bluntly, one expert's answer was, this is the only ethnic group that didn't immigrate to North America, but was brought in chains. Quite the reflective moment on my sick day watching daytime TV.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home