Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Alphabet Pillows: C & B

In December, Sarah and I went to the MCAD student art show and saw some alphabet-shaped pillows that were simply adorable. But being the crafty ladies we are, we decided to try to make our own, rather than buy the artist's version.

So just days before Christmas, we had a sewing day together. The idea was to make pillows for each of our neices and nephews in time for Christmas. Sarah needed to make a C for Christopher, an I for Isaiah, and a K for Keane. I needed a C for Cole, B for Brynn, A for Ava, and R for Reagan.



We were making it up as we went along, but I think we did okay. I started with the C, thinking it might be the easiest, since all of my other letters would need to have enclosed holes.

I used some tupperware container lids to trace nice round edges for my C. Then I cut a 3 inch strip of fabric for the sides and started sewing.







I was right that the enclosed holes would be tricky. Sarah and I came up with a few options that would be easier, such as placing a big button where the holes would be, or using a patch in the same fabric as the sides of the pillow. But I ended up going the hard route, because I could really picture little hands poking through those holes.

Another thing that was tricky about my B pillow was that I used one stretchy knit fabric and one more canvass-y one. Knit fabrics are kind of tough, especially mixed with canvass. But look how cute these fabrics are together!



Look at Sarah's finished I. Pretty cute!





It turned out I was right about the holes. It didn't take Brynn long to turn her B into a double bracelet. Unfortunately, I ran out of time to get the A and the R done before Christmas. I am going to see those two little munchkins on Valentine's Day, so I am setting that as my new deadline.





I think Cole and Brynn really liked their pillows. Or maybe they were just happy because I was letting them jump on the bed. Don't tell Grandma!






Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

how do you sew the enclosed hole? I've been trying to figure it out, I have no clue! please help!

11/04/2013 10:27 AM  
Blogger Laura McCarty said...

Hi there. I cut a rectangle of fabric and machine-sewed one long edge of the rectangle to one side of the hole, then sewed the other side by hand.

11/24/2013 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home