Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Rock Star Tank


There seems to be a running theme in this blog regarding craft ideas I have that turn into something pretty different, but I'm moderately okay with the outcome. I made this shirt during a manic crafting phase last summer, inspired somewhat by my Generation T book.

The plan was to cut rips into a wife beater and have another shirt peeking through. So I placed a gray one inside a black one, and used some red thread to sew a series of vertical lines down the front. The red looked pretty sassy. Then I cut the black tank between the red lines, but left the gray intact. So far so good. What I didn't bank on was that "A-shirts" (the more politically correct term for these men's tanks) are very fitted, and stretch a lot when placed on a body. Even a modest sized chest like mine.

So instead of the nice straight lines I cut with a little gray peeking through, I got wide gray squiggly stripes that all aimed in at the top and out around the boobs. I decided maybe cutting a notch in the collar would help alleviate some of that tension, and then I just got more squigglier lines.

Alas, crafts are not meant to turn out as visualized, and I love the end product anyway. I wore this shirt last week for the first time all summer, and got a ton of compliments on it, so I'm pretty happy. It's back in the rotation.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home