Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Teaching Myself to Crochet

I'm teaching myself to crochet. Mollie tried to teach me a few months ago, but I didn't get the hang of it. When I saw her awesome squares for Henry's blanket, I knew I needed to try again. This time I decided to teach myself using the Happy Hooker book by Debbie Stoller. I had learned most of my knitting skills from her Stitch 'n' Bitch book years ago, so I decided if anyone could teach me how to crochet, Debbie could.

Alissa gave me a handful of hooks and yarn last time I saw her, because motherhood means no time for hobbies, apparently. Bummer for her! Guess that makes me lucky to not be a mom right now. But as a side note, look at this picture from Henry's baby shower last weekend! I can still adore other people's kids and make time for hobbies.



Anyway, I started reading the book and practicing the stitches. Here's my practice piece. And no, I will not be using it for a scarf.




Check out the triangular shape down towards the bottom. Funny, that's how my first knitted scarf looked, too. Looks like I dropped a few stitches.



I started out with a few rows of basic single crochet stitches (sc). Not too shabby. The funny row in the middle is a row of slip stitches (sl).




Next I learned the half-double crochet stitch (hdc).





Then on to double crochet stitch (dc).





And finally, triple crochet stitch (tr).




I didn't go on to double triple (dtr) and triple triple (ttr) crochet stitches, because I decided I pretty much got the gist. So next I started attempting a simple shell pattern. It doesn't look as pretty as the picture in the book, but I think I'm starting to get the idea.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger mollie said...

Great work, Laura!! I can't wait to see your progress. By the way, I always seem to drop the last stitch when I am crocheting back and forth...that's why I crochet in the round.

8/04/2009 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home