Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Roasting Chestnuts

A couple of years ago, I went to a holiday season fundraiser where hot cider was served and chestnuts were roasted on an open fire. I had never tasted a chestnut before, and fell in love. I've thought about that fundraiser every year since, and this year finally got up the nerve to try roasting chestnuts myself.



At the event, the hostess was actually roasting them on a grill. And I have a fuzzy memory of her telling me that they required some sort of soaking preparation before grilling. So, I turned to the internets for advice.



Like everything I search on the internet, I came up with as many different ways to cook chestnuts as there are websites out there. I recently searched for quiche recipes when I wanted to try my hand at quiche, and decided the American Egg Board people probably have the greatest stake in making sure my quiche turns out beautifully, so I went with their recipe. Sadly, my search didn't turn up any definitive chestnut growers association.


Additionally, I went to fire up the grill, and realized, as with the last two winters in my house, the deck door had frozen shut. Alas, I decided it was too much work to go around from the front door, so I decided to settle for an indoor chestnut roasting recipe. I settled on this recipe from ezinearticles.com, a website I've certainly never heard of and have no reason to believe is reliable.


Here's the condensed version:

  1. Sort chestnuts and throw out any icky ones. I didn't find any.
  2. Use a paring knife to cut x's into the rounded side of each chestnut. Apparently they explode when cooking if you skip this step. One website advised against letting your knife go deep enough to actually cut the meat of the nut. I can't see why this would matter.


  3. Rinse the nuts well. Apparently this cleans them and softens the shell.


  4. Place cut side up on a baking sheet.

  5. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.


  6. Remove from oven, wrap in a towel and crunch them a bit to give crack the hard shells.


  7. Enjoy!

And that's it. Delicious. And apparently quite nutritious. I love how they look like brains when you remove the skull. I mean shell. And I love how they taste--almost like a potato, but a little sweeter. Can't wait to host a holiday party and serve roasted chestnuts!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Amanda said...

They were delicious! Thank you!!

12/07/2009 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home