Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Saturday, February 24, 2007

all work and no craft

I've been feeling terribly guilty about neglecting my craft blog lately, and of course, neglecting my crafts. I know people use work and "life is busy" as excuses for lots of things, but it happens to be true. Okay, so I left work at 5:00 today, but it was the first time all week. When I got home, I caught up on my favoritest, guiltiest pleasure: my stories. I watched the final episode of the OC (what a travesty), and last night's episode of Grey's Anatomy as well (I won't lie, I kinda hoped Meredith would die. What--she's gotten super annoying!). But then I had to go back to a work event, and just got home at 12:30am. Tomorrow I have to go to a meeting at 9am, not for work, but for a board I serve on. Every day has been like this. When, oh when, do I have time to work on my crafts?

I even have a new stash of great fabrics I'm dying to try out. A friend left the country for a two-year stint with the Peace Corps recently, so she gave away a bunch of her stuff, including fabric remnants. If it wasn't so late and I wasn't so tired, I'd post some photos. Tomorrow, maybe.

OH, plus, I made my very first sale. My friends Abby and Sarah bought my hearts onesie for a baby they expect to have in their lives very soon. I've heard requests for frogs and umbrellas, so I've got fun ideas for those new designs. I was planning out a really great idea for a onesie with a spoon & cherry Minneapolis theme, but I just heard a horror story about some college kids who were planning a big midwest conference in Minneapolis and were going to use photos they took of the cherry in the spoon for their conference materials, and just days before the conference got a call from the Walker Art Center that they were breaking the law. OOPS!

So, I realized I should be careful what potentially copyrighted or protected material I use in my crafts. Which got me thinking, can you sell items you made by hand if you used a pattern from someone else? Like, can I sell mittens I knitted if I used a pattern from Stitch N Bitch? What about selling clothes I sewed if I used a purchased pattern? Not that I'm really in the retail business, but this knowledge would come in handy next time I consider entering something like the Craftstravaganza.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home