Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Homework: I can park, and almost wash clothes

On Sunday I spent a long while trying to break up all the compacted snow on my driveway so I could get rid of the frozen-in-place compost bin that was preventing me from parking in my garage. With a little help from Jesse, the neighbor who's always walking his dog, I got the job done. He brought over a couple of hoes (hee hee) to break up the ice, and I we got a lot of it up. It was a long painful process. But the compost bin is now inside the garage while I consider whether I want to compost this summer and whether I want to use this cracked, beat up old bin. And I can finally get my car in there. It's a much tighter fit than I imagined. When I backed out this morning, I was really nervous that I was going to scrape against the retaining wall. So far no accidents.

Also this morning, the guys from ApplianceSmart delivered and "installed" my washer and dryer. I knew they wouldn't actually install my gas dryer, because it has to be done by a professional gas guy or something like that. But their installation of the washer left a bit to be desired.

First, they faced it in an awkward direction, so instead of having my W/D side by side, the washer faces the side of the dryer. When I asked if they could turn it, they told me I'd need a longer hose. Then, they couldn't figure out a way to affix the drain pipe to the sink, so they just left it and said I'd have to figure it out. They also let me know that I had a new plumbing leak that didn't exist before they showed up. They blamed it on the faucet not having been turned on in a while. Huh? And they didn't even plug the darn thing in! Lovely customer service. Check it out: they way they set it up, I can't even fit in the space where the washer is supposed to be able to open. Thanks ApplianceSmart. I think I might need to write a stern letter.



Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Laura, congrats on the beautiful new pad! Scot and I are excited to follow you on all of your blogable events. Keep up the good work.

3/03/2008 1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, while your ice chipping skills need a little work, you more than make up for it with your witty and insightful writing. Welcome to the neighborhood! Jesse

3/07/2008 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home