Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Sunday, August 05, 2012

Nostalgic Summer: Putting up sweet corn

Maybe it's because Amanda and I have been to Iowa several times this summer, but I've been feeling very nostalgic lately.  I've been itching to take on a very nostalgic activity ever since Mom gave us two bags of fresh-from-the-farm sweet corn.  So today I took the plunge, and endeavored to put up the corn.  By myself.  (Poor Amanda's been so sick this week!)

I picked up a couple of extra ears of Minnesota-grown corn to supplement the bounty from the farm.  In all, I had 23 small ears from the farm and six bigger ears from the store.

First, shucking the corn.  Good idea to do this outside.  Side note: I had no idea when I decided to compost that it would give me such satisfaction to dump stuff like this in there!





Next I set up my cutting station inside.


After cutting the corn off one ear, I realized I better come up with a better plan for containing the mess.  I pulled all the extra chairs out of the way and threw an old sheet down to catch stray kernels and sprays.  This is such a messy job!


Come to think of it, in all my nostalgia, I remember a very specific occasion when I was pretty young.  My grandma, several aunts, and several cousins came to our house for a day of putting up corn.  I think there was an outside shucking station.  I was sitting at a picnic table in the garage cutting corn of the cob.  Then it would be sent inside, where Grandma Rita took the hot job of cooking it.  Mom was smart to put the cutting outside.  I wonder if she just hosed out the whole garage afterwards.  I kinda want to hose out my kitchen.


I distinctly remember my aunt Lori giving me lots of positive feedback.  "You're really good at that."  She was such a teaser.  She always used to tell me I was really good at chores that she wanted me to do.  Note to future self.  It works like a charm on kids.

Here's all the corn, before cooking.  I started with six large and 23 smaller ears. I got 20 cups of corn.  I wonder if my table will ever be not sticky again.


Corn on the stove.


After it's cooked, you spread the corn out on cookie sheets to cool.


It cools pretty fast.  Now I gotta figure out how to get it in the freezer bags with minimal mess.  I bet Grandma Rita or Mom could have given me a better plan than this.  Probably the best answer is four hands.


In the end, I got five quart-sized freezer bags full, plus I saved a couple of servings for us to eat tonight.  My taste test gives it an 8 out of 10.  It's a little chewy.  Not sure if that's because it was in the refrigerator for a few days before I cooked it? 


All done, and most of the dishes cleaned, too.  I'd love a cocktail, but I'll settle for a Diet Coke.  Still need to head outside for some garden work.  Cocktails later!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home