Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Checkerboard Lace Scarf

Mollie, the queen of knitting hats, recently alerted me to the presence of a new yarn store in the neighborhood: Steven Be. I promptly made a visit, and wow! What a place! I have yet to meet the store’s namesake, but those who have met him describe him in such a way that he’s become a mythical magical being in my mind. Kind of like a unicorn with knitting needles. And glitter. Apparently, he calls himself the Glitter Knitter. Abby says he’s like the Carson Kressley of knitting (in a good way), lighting up the room and calling cute little old lady knitters “divas.”

Anyway, I went to Steven Be without a solid project in mind, just looking for a yarn to inspire me. I found many, but ended up taking home a green wool and silk Mushishi. So beautiful!

After a few failures in the past couple years, I decided I better just focus on some leisurely knitting for myself. I had plans for lots of baby gifts that I never finished -- baby Shae’s hot pink sweater, Baby Adrian’s blue sweater, Baby Bennett’s blocks... All got to about 75% complete and then I just quit. I got knitter’s block. So this winter, I’m starting by just knitting for myself.

I used the Mushishi for a scarf for myself. I really liked the checkerboard lace pattern I had used on Henry’s blanket, so I returned to it. For this scarf, I used size 8 needles and cast on 27 stitches.

Here’s the finished project.



I think I need to learn how to block my work. You can't really see the lace pattern with all the curled edges!



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home