Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Friday, February 02, 2007

Knit Out at MOA

I've been regretting my decision not to submit an application to the Saint Paul Craftstravaganza, because it looks like hip craft fairs are pretty hard to come by in the Twin Cities. I keep looking for others, and today I ran across this: a Knit Out & Crochet convention at the Mall of America. Now you might think I'd be jumping for joy, since this event combines two of my favorite things, knitting and the Mall of America. The Adorn Mag blog was gushing about it, all 'oh it's so great, it's the biggest free knit event in America.'

I must be missing something. Apparently there are free knitting tutorials, but if you already are a knitter, what's fun about it? I've been to knit-ins before where people knit to raise awareness for some social justice cause (which you know I love), but what is fun about this thing? While I think the Mall of America may be the greatest place on earth, it's not a place for knitting. Knitting is to be done at laid-back coffee shops with people who can sit in silence together comfortably. Knitting is to be done on the couch in front of the fireplace. The Mall of America is for entertaining all 5 senses, all at once. How would one knit with so much competition for one's sensory attention?

Okay, seriously though. I know some people can knit with a lot of distraction. So maybe knitting at the MOA isn't so bad. But I can still make fun of the highlights of the day:
  1. Woof wear: "Doggone" cute sweaters to knit and crochet for your favorite pooch.
  2. Live fashion shows: see knitted and crocheted fashions you'd love to wear and CAN make.

Number one is too silly to respond to. As for number two. I know this is blasphemous for a knitter to admit, but I'm skeptical that there are any knitted fashions I'd love to wear. Let us not forget my attempt at knitting a sweater. Knitting is a good hobby, but I have to limit myself to knitting things that I will actually use.

Or maybe I'm just cranky because it's Friday night, my girlfriend's out of town, and daytime windchills have been in the negative double digits for days now in the Twin Cities.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home