Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Friday, January 12, 2007

Chicago Art

Last weekend I visited a particularly artsy friend in Chicago. I wanted to snap photos of everything in her apartment, it was all so creative. An old school desk (the boxy kind with space under the seat for text books) held her DVD collection. Empty ornate frames lined the walls. Vintage wallpaper was matted and framed. A surprisingly hip-looking antique quilt hung on the wall. Even her clothes were artistic. She wore fishnets and boots out to the bar, but had a way of making it seem laid back, not trying-hard hipster.



This 3D display was one of my favorites. The building in the enlarged photo was cut out (including some of the windows) and curved to fit in a frame that was smaller than its dimensions. The end results was alive in the way it jumped off the wall and allowed light and shadows to play in the background. Maybe this weekend I'll find a favorite Minneapolis landmark to photograph and see if I can recreate the magic. Not sure if it will look as cool on my white walls, though.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home