Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Adventures in Yardwork: More Unidentified Growth

More surprises every day in the yard department. I owe Craft Night Kassie two beers for successfully identifying a couple of plants posted last week. The cute little snail guys are now ferns, and the asparagus-looking fingers are hostas. I've never been a big fan of hostas, but I have a new appreciation of them now that I see how green and full they are with zero work from me. My mom thinks the flowering bush in the back yard may be a flowering almond tree. I've never even heard of such a thing. I'm withholding her beer until I have more proof.

This week brought more yard fun. I have one beautiful tulip:


And it looks as though I'm going to see some lilacs soon. This might be the most exciting discovery so far. This bush is very close to my deck. I can't wait to enjoy a cocktail on the deck and smell the lilacs!



But some mysteries remain. Once again, I'll buy you a beer if you can successfully identify anything below! Here's what the bushes in front of my big front window are doing these days. Can't wait to see what happens here!

Two trees are now flowering in the backyard. I'm thinking this one must be crabapple, but I'm not really sure.



And I don't know what this one is, but it's producing lovely white flowers. I think it's especially interesting because of how vertical it is. I was looking through some online tree encyclopedias, but I didn't see any that grew so tall and narrow like this one.




I was especially surprised by this one. These plants are growing along the back fence, and I wasn't even sure if they were intentional or weeds, but lo and behold, a lone flower has bloomed from them.



My spider plant is a little jealous of all the attention his new siblings are getting, so he decided to show off a bit, too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home