Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Yard update

It's been a while since I posted an update about the yard. I've been out there weeding every weekend since things started growing, so there's less time for blogging! A couple weeks ago, I had some help from Kate and Sully, and a ton of stuff got done. We weeded the backyard, which hadn't seen any love because I've been focused on the front. We filled up seven huge garbage bags with thistles, milkweeds, tons of nightshade, and tons of volunteer dogwoods. Once I finally got that stuff cleaned up, I was able to confirm that I do, in fact, have a lovely crop of raspberries growing.

And speaking of fruit, I'm already planning a fruit salad party for later in the season when it all ripens. I've got blueberries, pears, and apples in the works as well.


We also cut down a dead tree and a huge volunteer tree that had grown to be at least 10 feet tall. Still waiting for dad to bring a chainsaw to finish that job.


Speaking of dad, my parents are coming this weekend, and we're going to build a fire pit like the one they have. Can't wait to sit around the campfire at the fruit salad party!



Oh, and if all that wasn't enough excitement, check out what's growing:







After seven hours in the yard that Saturday, Kate came back on Sunday and helped clean the gutters and tear out all the growth in the side yard. That was definitely the worst part of the yard yet, but we got it all torn out, and it felt great. Now I just have to try and keep on top of it. Easier said than done.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home