Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Monday, December 13, 2010

Hurricane Hat

My friend Mollie churns out about three hats a week. I don’t know how she does it. Nobody in her family or friend circle (or in the entire Twin Cities metro area) will ever have cold ears. Check out the fish hat she recently knat for Waylon.

A couple weeks ago, she showed off a hat she had knat using this Hurricane Hat pattern from String in Motion. I decided to give hat knitting another go-round. This time I used natural fibers (the wool and silk Mushishi from my recent checkerboard lace scarf) so that if it stretches out like Amanda’s hat did, I have a chance at re-shaping it through blocking. I also tried out a double-stranded hat for extra warmth, since Amanda’s wasn’t very warm. I had some baby weight laying around in green, so I’m using that as my second strand. I think the colors work very nicely together.

I’ve worn it a couple of times now, and so far so good: I don’t think it’s stretching out!


Oh, and I forgot the most important part. Since my gauge is so wide, I cast on the requierd 81 stitches, but I used size six double-pointed needles instead of the called-for size sevens to bring it down a notch.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger mollie said...

Great work, Laura! That is an awesome hat. You're a pro now!

Love, Mollie

12/14/2010 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home