Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Crayon Rolls

You may think that there has been no crafting at Aunt Lola's house since there have been no posts. How wrong you'd be! As a matter of fact, I've created a new craft room to house all the crafting! When Amanda moved in, she took over my old craft room, and now the basement guest room has become a guest room/craft room. Interestingly, I've actually used it more than I did when it was upstairs. It's a little bigger and feels like my own little studio apartment. Plus it's close to the ironing board, which I pulled in for this recent craft project.



Two of my little munchkins turned three this fall, so I made crayon rolls for birthday gifts. I got the idea from Skip to My Lou. I was delighted to find that Skip has experimented quite a bit and has posted several variations of the project:

http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/12/18/felt-crayon-holder/
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2008/09/09/keep-on-rollin/
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2008/08/06/felt-crayon-roll/
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2007/04/25/on-a-roll/

I copied the project, and put my own stamp on it. My biggest difference was that I used a magnetic snap closure instead of using one of Lou's options. I thought the magnet would be easiest for tiny fingers.

This was my first foray into piping, and it doesn't look like my most professional work. As I often do, I found myself cursing the fact that I only took sewing in 4-H for two years. I think Grandma Lo should give Aunt Lola some more lessons.

You can imagine how huge my big beaming smile was when Ava stopped opening her birthday presents after she opened mine. She immediately pulled out the crayons and started coloring.





I asked the moms for feedback a few weeks later, and one suggested a flap to keep the crayons in place. Apparently they fall out when the roll is turned upside down. Duly noted.





















Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home