Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pillowcase turned shoulder bag

I have a real affinity for used pillowcases and sheets. You can make such fun things using already professionally-finished edges. I found the pillowcase for this project at a garage sale. I trimmed some of the length and width, keeping the finished edge intact to use as the opening of the bag. After sewing up the cut edges, I used the scraps to create the straps. I used strips that were about 3" by about 18". I folded each strip right sides together, sewed them into a tube, and the turned it right sides out. I pressed the strap so that the seam was centered on one side, and then covered that seam with my orange 1" grossgrain ribbon. I sewed the straps to the outside of the bag, and then covered my work with a grossgrain stripe. When I carried my new bag to work for the first time, a coworker's gasped, "Holy Jan Brady!" Apt, I guess!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home