Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Progress Check: Waylon's Sweater

I knitted with Jane this afternoon, and have been making good progress on the sweater I'm making for the newest man in my life, Waylon. Check out how handsome he is: http://waylonpictures.blogspot.com/.



Since my needles are comically short (thanks, Depth of Field, for only having kids size 5 needles in stock), the front of the sweater looks a little funny on the needles, but rest assured, when it's bound off, it will be the same size as the back.

The pattern came from a new book in my craft book collection, Easy Baby Knits. It is, in fact, an easy sweater, which feels a little like laziness, but how could I resist buying a book full of super duper cute patterns? I can't help it if they're all in garter stitch!




Besides, I did learn something new today that falls into the more advanced knitting category, and it's quite wonderful. I don't knit socks, because I have a feeling I wouldn't wear them, and I hate crafting things I won't use, but if I ever did, this magic cast-on would be an amazing way to make a no-seam toe. And I'm not talking invisible seam, I'm talking no seam. Simply amazing. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Jane is my knitting hero.

And speaking of great knitters, in only one week, the student has become the master. At craft night on Tuesday, Angela showed us her finished baby hat, after having just learned how to knit in the round one week earlier. And she was halfway through her second hat already. Bravo.


Also pictured is a square Sarah knitted for a quilt she and her coworkers are working on, as well as some crumbs from a tasty loaf of banana bread she baked for us! Much like yardwork and home improvement, I firmly believe baking is a DIY/crafty activity worthy of a DIY/Craft blog.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home