Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Baby Blanket or King-Sized Comforter?

Several months ago I started a baby blanket for my expecting cousing Angela.  I had a lot of baby yarns leftover from a project I hadn't finished years ago, and some plain white worsted weight Red Heart yarn that I got from Mollie when she was cleaning out her stash, so I decided to combine the two and make a simple striped garter stitch baby blanket.  I bought a set of size 13 circulars and set to work. 
 
My first cast on seemed a little too small after I had knitted a couple rows, so I tore it out and added more stitches.  Now is where the lesson begins.  The lesson is this:  Even if you are an experienced knitter (and dare I say talented), you can still make stupid mistakes.  I realized after five or ten rows that I had started a pretty wide blanket.  I figured I'd just keep going.  It seemed like too much work to rip it out again.  After a few more rows it was becoming more and more clear that I'd added WAY too many stitches, but by then it really did feel too late to start over.  So I kept knitting.
 
Eventually I had gone through all of the skeins of baby yarn I had in the house, and I had a very wide, stout rectangle.  I had to buy more yarn.  And more of the white Red Heart.  And I kept knitting.  For months.
 
In the end, I gave myself a bump on my right index finger that I can only guess is a ganglion cyst.  And I had a blanket that, if rotated 90 degrees, could be a bedspread.  I bound off and called it good.
 
 
I hope baby Jaxon likes it.  My baby seems to.
 

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger mollie said...

Great post, Laura! This made me smile. I hope Jaxon can feel all the love that you put into that blanket!

2/26/2013 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home