Aunt Lola's DIY Blog

a journal of crafts and DIY projects

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Lace Lamp

Sarah found this awesome variation of the 1970s string lamp on Pinterest.
 
 
I decided it would be cool to try and make one.  The photos above are from a website that is not published in English and as far as I can tell, didn't have instructions anyway.  So I found some string lamp instructions at instructables.com and adapted.
 
 
I picked up some lace curtains at Goodwill and some fabric stiffener at Michael's.  I cut some flower patterns out of the lace, soaked them in the fabric stiffener, and then wrapped them around my balloon.  I found out quickly that I hadn't cut my pieces small enough.  I went in with my scissors to do some trimming, and popped the balloon.  Fabric stiffener exploded across the whole room.
 
I blew up a second ballon and started over.  Even after trimming down some of the lace pieces, it still didn't lay very flat.  We'll see what happens as it dries.   


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home